Lately I’ve been trying to work on the software side of things a bit lately, while I have this thing assembled (I’m still debating whether to embrace the scuffed look of the casing paint job).
For one thing, I found out that my last SD card image was 6 months old! I had some things I had figured out since then, but as I tried new things I kept messing up the card, so I took the time to implement everything that I KNEW worked onto one card, while testing out things on a different SD card. That way I have a safe image of all the things that work, while the other spare cards were considered expendable, and I’d only bother testing new things on them. Once I was satisfied that I had made sufficient progress, I used Win32DiskImager to copy the image of the good card as a new baseline.
New things implemented in the baseline:
Loading all the files that I had been transferring via USB into the image so I don’t have to reload them
Establishing a new cyberdeck logo as a wallpaper (courtesy of fellow decker BillieRuben on the cyberdeck discord)
Changed screen resolution on the primary display (when I was at MAGfest I couldn’t access the buttons on some menus, which drove me NUTS).
Updating password, because apparently I had left it unlocked. D’oh!
Implementing SSH on the Pi and installing PuTTY on my laptop. This change was one of the more important ones! I’ve been attempting to tweak some of the graphical settings, but every time I get them wrong, the screen on the Pi becomes unusable. When that happens, that had forced me to swap cards, and start all over again. It also led to me possibly corrupting cards because of powering the Pi off incorrectly, and having to wipe and reimage the cards before I could use them again. Now, with SSH implemented, I can remote into the Pi and access the command line perfectly well, allowing me at the very least to be able to power off the Pi correctly, but it has also allowed me to continue trying new things while the display settings were messed up. This saves a LOT of time (it takes far too long constantly reformatting and reimaging these SD cards).
Working but not baselined:
I’ve been able to VNC to share the Pi screen to an old android phone of mine. So far that works with RealVNC Viewer on the android phone.
Instructions for VNC on Raspberry Pi
I’m attempting to use VNC to share a side-by-side version of the raspberry pi display onto my android device so I can use it as a head-mounted display (HMD) to simulate a larger monitor to work from on-the-go. I’m attempting to use a software called VR VNC. So far I’ve been receiving an error message about incompatible VNC security, and haven’t managed to get it to work.
Once I get VR VNC (or some equivalent) to work, I want to change the network interface from being over WiFi (which requires both devices to be on a WiFi network together, not ideal on-the-go) to being through a wired connection over USB. Someone appears to have written a guide here: Android Device as Screen for rPi via USB & VNC. End goal: wired connection between the keytar and the android headset to simulate a large monitor on-the-go, making using the system much easier… and has added cyberpunk vibes. If/when I get this to work, I’m gonna get an old-fashioned-looking curly cable for the connection. It just feels more authentic.
I’d like to add an app for simple-ish pass-through of the camera into an augmented reality display on the headset. If the lag isn’t too bad, I might be able to wear the headset and still be able to see where I’m going at cons, if I want to fully indulge the costume at times.
Things I’ll have to get back to:
Attempting to switch between HDMI output (for a TV or digital projector) and back to the built-in LCD. I was attempting to use some code I found to switch automatically, but that kept failing and rendering the screen unusable, hence the need for the SSH above. Then I remembered the original scripts onboard for switching by command and thought I should make sure that works first. So far I can get it to switch to HDMI, but not successfully back. At least, the screen is still covered with some other text when it switches back. I’ve already fixed one issue, from where the screen kept coming back upside down, but I haven’t gotten back to a useable desktop using this method. Thankfully the SSH works and allows me to keep poking at it.
Down the line:
Now that I’m trying to add a HMD to the setup, I think I need to make some modifications to the casing. I think I may either remove the existing branding from the case, and/or add a thematically appropriate sticker to cover it up. I also may need to manufacture and attach an appropriate connection for hanging it from my belt securely. I’m not going to want to wear it on my head all the time.
I may or may not post more on these topics later, but I thought I’d go ahead and put these out there.
I reorganized my workspace, mostly by adding a rolling cart to store things on (and still be able to move out of the way when I need that particular floorspace back). My living room (including the top of my workbench) was getting rather cluttered with projects, materials, etc. and it was becoming unusable. I’ve now tossed some stuff, and reorganized the rest onto the cart, reclaiming some needed square-footage off of the floor, workbench, and other shelves. I now even have space to run my laptop out of the way of the bench itself for when I want to SSH into my cyberdeck at the bench.
I thought the table lamp needed a lampshade, so I designed and printed one inspired by a Japanese style pagoda roof. The green is a reference back to the Jade Pagoda from Whovian lore. Right now 3 out of the 4 segments match. I ran out of material when printing a later version of the design. I still need to get some more green filament to finish this properly one of these days. I’ve posted the files on Thingiverse here:
Pagoda Style Lampshade