This past weekend I finally drilled the holes and test fit the screws into the nuts hidden inside the backs of all the tray mount pieces. Here’s how I have those concealed.
The screw hole is premade into the model, and there is a corresponding slot for the nut to slide into. The slot is shaped to prevent it from turning. With all these bits installed, here’s the keyboard held in it’s tray for ease of access to the inside of the case.
Keyboard in tray… finally
For reference, here’s what the backside of some of the pieces look like. The groove at the bottom is to match the screws that punch through for the hinges. You can also see a couple of the screw holes. I was gonna show more… but I really don’t feel like disassembling the whole tray right now.
A couple of these holes weren’t centered quite correctly, but conveniently I was able to gently carve out the holes in the direction I needed to shift them with my 3D printing chisels. Well… except apparently I misaligned one of the holes within a 3D printed component with the retaining nut slot, but the piece seems on solidly enough without it. If I care enough to later I will fix the model and replace the component. The way I’ve designed it I can replace individual parts later.
The back of the tray with my adjustment marks.
Turns out I was still missing some screws earlier this week, and I got fed up with getting screws piecemeal when I’m always using #6-32 machine screws. So, through great technomancy (Amazon) I summoned this kit. It’s got everything I could possibly need in #6-32 machine screws.
I’m sorry Home Depot, but we’re not exclusive
I also tried yet again to fix the underpower issue with the Pi itself. I ordered this battery, and a cable with inline switch that is specifically supposed to be for a Raspberry Pi. For a little while it seemed to work… and then I started seeing that annoying lightning bolt again. This battery is supposed to have smart output of 5V and up to 3.1A (depending on what is attached), but it still showed a power warning. For reference, a Pi is supposed to use 5V and 2.5A. It may be because I had another peripheral (a thumb drive) installed at the time.
In the middle of editing this, while taking photos, I noticed this on the back.
D’oh! This appears to have a 2.4A limit per port like some of the others.
Anywaaay, I’m gonna keep tweaking this thing, and see if it has something to do with a USB drive being plugged in or a change I made in the OS a while back that was supposed to use more onboard memory on the Pi rather than on the SD card.
Wish me luck! Or, better yet, if you have any suggestions on mobile power supplies for Raspberry Pis (that don’t involve adding a hat inside the semi-sealed case of the Pi), please let me know.
In other news:
Still playing through Borderlands 3 as Moze. Kinda hard to say no to having my own mech. I bet you can guess my main in Overwatch back when I played.
I think my filament spool had a couple discontinuities in it. I was trying to do a long print overnight this week, and this was the result.
No power of Greyskull. I am le sad.
I assumed that the filament had tangled and snapped. When I went to unsnag the spool of filament… I found this:
A segment of filament that was disconnected on both ends. Makes me wonder if I had a faulty spool and just hadn’t come across the break in the section yet.
Don’t ever get attached to a character in Dungeon Crawl Classics, they will die unexpectedly. And I’m not just talking the level 0s you would expect to die. I think I’m gonna adopt the Goblin Slayer Abridged method in the future.