So, I’ve apparently got a lot to log this week, which is both awesome (yay, stuff was accomplished!) and annoying (shards, I’ve gotta log all this stuff).
I’ll try got go through it pretty quickly, since it’s multiple projects, and not a lot of focus on any one project.
I finally found time to epoxy and prime my keytar. I’m gonna need to get some sand paper to smooth out some parts I messed up on (I’m new to spraypainting). Later I’ll put on another layer (I missed some stuff) or more. Then it’s back to maybe sanding a bit, stickering, clear coating, and matte coating. Here are a few images of where things stand now.
I’m still debating how I want to paint these greeblies. Maybe a metallic color of some kind?
And here is what I’m thinking of for stickers at the moment. I’ve got a bunch of other random stickers from a Ready Player One bundle that I’m considering layering under these, but I wonder whether I should do that, or if it might cause problems. Also might cause these top stickers to not stand out as much.
I’ve been updating my Ghostbusters costume this year. I’m able to fit into an actual jumpsuit this year, so I got one. And it’s a bit too big on me (yaaaay for weight loss, but boooo, I was hoping for a good fit). Still, at least I can wear it! And I can (kinda) use one web belt instead of needing two.
Anyway, new jumpsuit means I need to sew patches again… or if you are lazy like me (and know that you are gonna get another suit later) you attach them to Velcro for easy transfer. Still had to sew the name patch onto the Velcro strip that came on the uniform, but just had to attach the adhesive Velcro panels for the logo patch.
I also decided since I suddenly had free time to work on projects that I’d go a bit further, and make the connectors and tube that hang off the left side of the uniform. 3D models were available on Thingiverse here:
Ghostbusters Leg Hose Connector on Thingiverse
I printed that sucker out, ordered some magnets that I superglued in, and attempted to dye the hose.
The dyeing didn’t go too well, but at least it is slightly greenish, which was kinda my intent. Yes, per the first movie they are supposed to be yellowish… but I didn’t like the catheter explanation for the tube that the color implies. I went with the video game option that implies it has something to do with slime, and tried to dye it neon green. I think I didn’t account for some things in the process.
Also, on the printer right now is the LifeGard II monitor that the Ghostbusters wear on their belts. Apparently it was a thing firemen would wear that would alert people if the wearer wasn’t moving for an extended period of time. Mine is nonfunctional, just a shell, but I like adding detail. I’m having to do it at 80% scale because anything larger wouldn’t fit on my tiny printer.
Lifegard II 3D Model on Thingiverse
I can’t remember why or how I came across this box on Thingiverse, but I found it interesting, so I printed it.
I also thought I could use a screw tray with all the screws I’ve been taking out of the keytar prior to painting, so I printed this one (after running it through the customizer) and used some of my extra magnets on it. I was too frustrated with superglue at the moment (I forgot that it kinda spews when it’s first opened) so I just have painter’s tape holding it in the slots right now.
Customizable Magnetic Screw Tray/Box (with optional lid) on Thingiverse
The Outer Worlds came out last Friday. This game is AMAZING, and I’m already getting ideas of costume props that I would like to either find or create models for. There are a lot of cool technological bits on the outfits in that game.
I think I may have to do a review of this at some point because I LOVE THIS GAME. Briefly: companion social interactions are believable and contribute to the narrative, I’m not constantly chasing weapon upgrades, and I’m not bogged down in junk collection.