Earlier this week when trying to print another mini for D&D, I made the mistake of leaving the room before it started the first layer. As it occasionally does, the Colido DIY that I have went past the endstop switch, and gouged the print bed, getting the nozzle stuck in one of the screw holes on the printing bed before I could get to it to yank the power breakaway cable.
I got fed up with the printer. I can probably still fix it as I have before, but as far as I’m concerned I’m done with this one. I ordered me a new printer which arrived today.
I ended up getting a Monoprice Select Mini Pro 3D printer, based on using a tool I’ve mentioned previously to find something that fit my criteria. It’s got a much smaller print volume, but it comes preassembled, precalibrated, has a heated print bed, is self-levelling, and is wifi enabled.
I’ll probably go more into this 3D printer at a later time, giving my review of it so far… especially after I get it fine-tuned.
Suffice it to say, I was tired of running a printer I didn’t feel I could trust, and it was time to get a new one. As I’ve mentioned before, I eventually want to get the Snapmaker 2, which will get me back up to the larger print volume and expand my manufacturing capabilities, but I needed something in the meantime that wasn’t too terribly expensive. Most of what I print are small miniatures for D&D games, so I’m not really giving up much except the occasional larger print item that I rarely do anyway. I’ve currently got one of the provided test print files running on it, and I can already tell you that this printer is much quieter than the last. I can’t hear it from my computer room like the other one.